Amanda Duff | May 14, 2020
Self-care may not seem like the highest priority while in quarantine, but giving your skin some attention now will pay off once restrictions start to ease. Plus, if there was ever a time to be kind to yourself, it’s now. Dr. Deanne Mraz Robinson, MD, FAAD, Partner of Modern Dermatology in Westport, shared with us three at-home skincare tips. Dr. Robinson and her husband Dave live in Ridgefield with their four kids: Dermott, Teagan, Callan and Garrett.
- ISDIN Eryfotona SPF 50+ and EltaMD Pure SPF 47 are the go-to’s for me and my husband Dave’s face and body
- Supergoop Mineral Spray or Kiss My Face Mineral Spray are great for having one hand free to get those squirmy kids! Note these are liquid sprays, I do not recommend aerosolized sprays which contain a lot of alcohol and are also bad for the environment & require approximately 7 layers to yield the same protection as a cream/lotion/liquid.
- SkinBetter Science Sun Stick – perfect for the kids to self apply on their faces!
- ISDIN Fotoprotector Mineral Brush – great for a touch up in a hurry and for tricky areas like the ears, hair part and hairline
3. Try a DIY at-home facial. Here’s a hydrating mask that will soothe dry, irritated skin. Avocados are filled with moisturizing fats, the honey is antibacterial and the cocoa powder contains anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mash a half an avocado in a small bowl
- Mix in one and a half tablespoons of organic honey
- Gently stir in 1 tablespoon of dark cocoa powder
- Apply to a clean face
- Let dry for 15 mins, then rinse off