Fall is in full swing and as days and nights start to cool, Nature’s Temptations‘ Chef Liz has just the right recipe to feed and nourish your soul: Coconut Yam Soup with Turmeric and Ginger. Liz says all ingredients in this soup are a good choice for anyone looking for tasty, inflammatory foods.
“Ginger curcumin, an active compound in turmeric, is known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties,” said Liz. “Yams are a good source of fiber, potassium, manganese, copper, and antioxidants. They’re linked to various health benefits and may boost brain health, reduce inflammation, and improve blood sugar control,” Liz continued. “Carrots are a good source of beta carotene, fiber, vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants.”
Chef Liz shared the following recipe, for which all ingredients can be purchased at Nature’s Temptations in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Carrot – Yam Soup with Turmeric & Ginger
1 Tbsp coconut oil
4 medium shallots, chopped (or 1 medium onion)
1 Tbsp chopped ginger
1Tbsp chopped garlic
3 yams, chopped
4 large carrots, chopped
1 Tbsp turmeric, fresh
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne
4 cups vegetable stock
1 15-ounce can coconut milk
Juice from one lime
Salty Almond Croutons
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 Tbsp tamari (use Coco Aminos for paleo or Whole30)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (in preparation for croutons)
- In a 6-quart soup pot over medium flame warm the coconut oil, add the shallots, ginger, garlic, turmeric, pepper, and salt, stir. After 3 minutes add vegetables.
- Add the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 15 minutes, until potatoes and carrots are soft.
- To make the croutons: while the soup is simmering, put the ingredients for the croutons in a bowl and mix.
- Lay out on a baking sheet, put the tray in the preheated oven, bake for 5 minutes. after they are toasted set aside for serving with soup.
- Whisk the coconut milk into the soup. Blend with an immersion blender until creamy.
- Bring to a simmer. Whisk in lime juice. Taste and adjust the flavors (add salt, turmeric. or pepper according to your taste.)
- Serve hot soup in a bowl topped with 1 tbsp of salty almond croutons.